Thursday, March 5, 2009

Another mask free'd from the kiln...

This was the second mask I made from paper clay, this one was 15% paper before bisque firing. The final thickness of this stoneware mask (about 7" high x 4" wide) after firing is a mere 1/8", and it weighs only 6 ounces(175g). After the first bisque firing I decided to cover it with a thin layer of light blue porcelain slip, and then bisque fire it again. The lips are a lavender engove, eyebrows are delphinium stain, cheek designs are done with Rietz Blue/Green, and the chin dot was a glob of Pete's Red. I then covered it with a clear glaze.





The photo is a bit deceptive in showing more of the under body, and I'm not sure why. When I look at it, the light blue under the clear seems to lift up off the clay body like a translucent cloud. It looks more light blue, and less of the buff seems to show up to the naked eye.

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH Russ, it is gorgeous!!!!!!!!! Have a nice birthday weekend with my pal Angel.